Teaching Music Musically (Routledge Education Classic Editions).pdf
Read online or download a free book: Teaching Music Musically (Routledge Education Classic Editions)
Publisher: Routledge; 1 edition (4 Oct. 2011)
By: Keith Swanwick(Author)
Book format: pdf doc docx mobi djvu epub ibooks (*An electronic version of a printed book that can be read on a computer or handheld device designed specifically for this purpose.)
'There are countless gems within these pages ... Swanwick seems to write from more experience as a musician and teacher than most others who write for this audience. There is a real sense of his having been there.’ - Patricia Shehan Campbell, Professor of Music, University of Washington, USA
'... contains the essential and highly valued hallmark of its author: well-articulated philosophy that will surely filter through to practical work in classrooms.'- British Journal of Music Education
'Among the virtues of this thoughtful study is that Swanwick supplies the terminology and the arguments to turn the potentially commonplace into fresh thought.' - Times Educational Supplement
This classic text is essential reading for all music educators, including practising and intending teachers in schools and colleges, and instrumental teachers. It is re-released in this special edition with a new preface by the author exploring what’s changed since the book was first published, where the field might go from here and why the themes and idea are as relevant now as ever. Teaching Music Musically considers:
- The nature of music itself, its value and metaphorical significance and the social context of musical understanding
- The interrelated layers of musical experience and fundamental principles for music educators, whatever the particular context of music teaching
- The demand for accountability and the development of state guidelines, national curricula or 'standards'
- Valid and reliable assessment of students' work
- The relationship between institutionalised music education and the wider community.
Illustrated throughout with practical examples, Teaching Music Musically introduces important ideas about music education to all those curious about the role of music in our lives.
|The message text:|